More Research


During the summer of 1982 I made a trip to central Illinois to see some friends, I decided to do some detective work on the car.  I decided to visit the local Pontiac dealership. Huber Pontiac. Mr. E.C. Huber was the first owner of the car. He purchased the car in 1965 from GM by bid­ing on it. He brought the car to Springfield and kept it for only a short time. He traded it for another car. One important piece of information I did learn was that the car did not have the original supercharged engine in it when he bought it. The car had a tri­-power Pontiac 400 engine.  I had been hoping that one of the owners had removed the engine and stored it, but now I had the answer. The new owner of the car could not make the payments so it was repossessed by a bank from the 2nd owner after several months. At first the bank was going to sell the car by bid to raise money but decided to sell the car to anyone. The third owner drove hte car for years until it rusted and finally quit running.  It was turned over to a wrecking yard.

The people I bought the car from helped me piece the rest of the story together. The car had never left the Springfield area.  After several years the cars in the yard were to be crushed. The people I purchased the car from saw it and thought it might be something special so they saved it. It was pulled out and placed in the garage where I found it. One of the things I was interested in was why and when were the changes made to the original 1963 x400. Especially since the changes appeared to be made at the styling studio at GM. In my investigations I found that the body was changed to the 1964 x400 by refitting the body with a new front end and a few details changed in the interior. It also received new paint in dark burgundy. The car was shown around the country. Apparently after that it again went back to the Styling Studio and more experimenting was done on it. The front end was again changed and the seats were changed.  It appears as though the car was not finished and therefore was not shown again. Since this was a drivable car and had a vin number it could be sold.  In taking the car apart I have found all of the layers of color under the top coats, going all the way down to the original off the assembly line paint. Some of the 1963 yellow still exists under panels. So the car was the 1963-64 x400. In order to do more research on the car I decided to travel to Detroit and contact as many people as I could who worked on the car.